HSU 109A Land Rover Redwing

HSU 109A Land Rover Redwing

 

Appliance Registration Make / Model Type Current Vehicle Status
HSU 109A
Land Rover Redwing
Light Pump 4 x 4
Available

 

The Redwing fire engine is based on a 109 11k2a Land Rover with a 2286cc (140 cu in) petrol engine and a four speed high and low ratio gearbox with four wheel drive. It was converted by Carmichael and sons Ltd Worchester England and fitted with a 340 Itr water tank and a 1800 Itr (400 GPM) Godiva FWPS fire pump with a foam proportioner driven from the standard Land rover P.T.O. The pump is fitted in the center of the vehicle with two deliveries to the nearside and a suction inlet at the rear. The water tank is also in the center above the fire pump and a single hose reel drum on top of it.

It was first registered to the South of Scotland Electricity Board Edinburgh on 9th July 1963 and the colour was grey with registration number 94 JGE. It was stationed at Cockenzie power station from 1963 until 27th May 1990. On 14th July 1989 its colour was changed to Red and on 31st of October 1993 its original registration number 94 JGE was transferred to a White Ford Transit van and was then re-registered as HSU 109A.

After a change of three different keepers and a great deal of neglect, on 1st October 1994 it was given to David Mcausland who was at that time Workshop manager at Strathclyde Fire Brigade’s workshops in Kilmarnock and was restored to its present condition by him.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Museum
and Heritage Centre
The Old Fire Station Dalrymple Street
Greenock
PA15 1LY

    

Registered Scottish Charity (SC043929)